July Blogging Challenge
Let’s talk about blogging! We all know how important it is to have fresh, new and relevant content on your website for both your SEO and for your potential clients to see your latest work...and this is where your blog comes into play!
Blogging 1-2 times a week will do wonders for your site and your business, but hands up if your blogging is a bit less than consistent? We know how important it is, and we go into each week with the best intentions of doing it, but somehow it’s the one thing that doesn’t get crossed off the to-do list and months start to go by with no new blog posts!
Well it’s time to change that and we can do it together with a blogging challenge for the month of July! Let’s hold each other accountable and blog at least once a week (but twice would be better!) for the entire month. It’s the easiest thing we can do for our businesses and our content is already there waiting for us on our hard drives!
If you’re needing a bit of help getting started, let’s first take a big step back and work out who your blog’s audience is? This is a step a lot of people skip, but it’s one of the most important ones if you want to have a thriving and consistent blog. Are you writing for potential clients, friends and family, fans of your work, other photographers, or a combination of audiences?
Once you determine who your audience is it will help you narrow down your content and the keywords you’ll want to use. For example, if potential clients are your target audience, they probably won’t care to read about your latest editing tips or gear review, but would rather see session favourites and wardrobe tips. Remember you want your blog to entertain, educate or inspire your audience so keep things relevant to keep your audience!
Once you have your audience narrowed down, you need to decide what to write. As photographers we’re lucky in that we take beautiful images everyday that we can share, we just need to make them relevant. A bit of advice though, when sharing your images, only show your best work...think quality over quantity!
- The obvious thing to post is your most recent work. If you’re just starting out in business and don’t have a lot of client work to share, don’t stress...just share personal work. Group your personal work together into relevant posts that your potential clients would be interested in booking you for...your favourite summertime images, in home images, beach images, baby images, etc.
- Blog FAQs for clients and share valuable content...how to prepare for a family/newborn/maternity session, what to wear to a session, etc.
- Blog about any promotions or events you are doing.
- Share you working behind the scenes.
- Talk about yourself and why you do what you do. Clients book you because of YOU so they want to connect and get to know you. Why do you love photographing families, babies, etc. What to photos mean to you?
Writing your blog posts will keep your website regularly updated with fresh content which is great for SEO, but even better is using keywords and alt text in all of your posts and images!
You want to use keywords you’re confident your target audience will search for. Use them in your text, incorporate them into your images’ file names, and make your title relevant to them. Without looking like spam, try and use them within the first 200 characters of your post, in the middle and again near the end, and always near any links you’re sharing.
In addition to using keywords in your image file name, be sure to add alt text to each image. This should reiterate the file name but in more detail. Think about it as the who, what, where and when of an image.
We’ll be checking in throughout the month on IG to see how you’re going with the challenge so be sure to tag #unscriptedmentoring with your posts so we can cheer you on and show you some love! So for now...go get blogging!